Sunday, March 7, 2010

And then I was 22...



I love birthdays! There is nothing better. Last month I turned 22 and it was a weekend full of ups and downs, but overall it was great.

The celebration began on Friday when my co-workers decorated my office with streamers and brought cupcakes to celebrate. There is no question, I work with the world's best!

The next day I got my birthday wish! I've never been to the temple with my dad before. We woke up early Saturday morning and did baptisms in the Provo Temple. He hadn't done baptisms for a very long time, so he was amazed how many youth were doing work on a Saturday. As a teen, he only did baptisms once before his mission! Crazy! That really helped me appreciate what a blessing it is for me to be able to hold my own temple recommend and have four temples within 30 minutes. In the temple I was really emotional, which isn't typical. I was so happy to be with my dad. After he finished performing the baptism ordinance, he gave me a hug in the font and whispered, "Happy Birthday." Elder Holland said something to the effect of, "Heaven wouldn't be heaven if my family wasn't there." I understand that now. I'm grateful for temples and that families are forever.









Next up was my mommy/daughter date. We decided to do something girly and go get our toes painted. It was so fun. We sat in this chair that massaged our back as these gentleman from Asia took care of our toes. Near the end they used this scrub stuff on my legs. For those who don't know, I am extremely ticklish. As he was rubbing this stuff on me, I just lost it and began to laugh and laugh. The guy wasn't sure what to do. He didn't know how to talk to me so he just kind of chuckled too and said, "You tickle." What a highlight! There is nothing better than quality girl time with my mom. She is my best friend.

Later in the afternoon I went to lunch with my dear friend, Brandon. We have the same birthday so we decided to take each other to lunch. It was fun. We both love Mexican so we tried this great place in Orem. I like that I share my birthday with others. Why can't everyone be born on February 21st, eh?

Sunday morning came and although I was born at 6:36am, I was not awake to celebrate it. Although shortly after that I woke up and the tutu came on. I had to wear a tutu to celebrate my 22nd birthday right? TUTU (22)? Get it? Awesome!

I didn't wear my tutu to church, but regardless, there was a lot of excitement. Right before Relief Society my secretary, Claire, came up to me and told me that my birthday surprise was on it's way. Then five minutes before Relief Society ended, the member of the bishopric pulled me out and told me I needed to go to the Bishop's office. I walked down and the whole bishopric was there to talk to me. I was surrounded.They told me that they wanted to release my first counselor and move her to a different calling. I honestly thought they were kidding. Because Claire had told me a surprise was coming, I thought that she had put the Bishopric up to this. We talked for a while and I was calm through the whole thing. When they asked me how I felt about it I just said, "Well, you're the bishopric!" I really didn't believe they were serious! When I was leaving they asked me if I wanted a picture directory to help me choose a new counselor. I said no. I really was impressed at their acting skills and how far they were going to make me believe they were serious. It wasn't until I went back to the Relief Society room and no one was there that I realized it wasn't a joke or surprise, the bishopric was serious! I went back and approached the counselor, "You were serious" I said. "Yeah." Then I asked for the picture directory. Bummer!

After going home and crying over losing Esther, I prepared for my next adventure. I decided I wanted to share my birthday with the homeless people in Orem/Provo. My favorite dessert and birthday tradition is trifle. Because trifle is hard to share, we made a special chocolate cake for me to pass out. I cut the pieces and put them on a a birthday plate, added sprinkles, saran rapped them them with a fork, and loaded them up in the car. I drove around for over an hour up and down Provo searching for homeless people. And I couldn't find one! I was so sad! I guess it was selfish to be sad I couldn't find homeless people to share with. I should be happy there aren't oodles of homeless! I gave up and was driving home and on the way I spotted one! I was so excited! I pulled over, parked my car, jumped out and ran over to my new friend. I explained to him, "today is my birthday and I want to share my birthday cake with you." I smiled and extended my cake to him. He looked at me and then looked at my cake. Then he shook his head no and continued walking. I was so sad! Turning 22 is emotional business because I cried again! I was just so sad he didn't want my cake. I was so excited to share. Thinking about it, it makes me understand the atonement a bit better. Christ has this gift He wants to share with me, but I have to accept it. What a life lesson for me. In the end, I decided to give my homeless man the benefit of the doubt and assume he was allergic to chocolate and didn't have the heart to tell me. Yep. That's it. Allergy. I think I'm going to go to the store and get like toothbrushes and toothpaste, and $5 gift cards to McDonald's to keep in my car for the next time I run into another homeless person. I don't think anyone is allergic to toothpaste. :D

Finally, it was time to blow out the candles. My parents gave me everything I wanted! The best present was the quality one on one time I was able to spend with them on Saturday. When they asked what kind of gifts I wanted, I said "I love Lucy" (what high class entertainment) and thank you cards. Typically I enjoy making thank you cards, but just haven't made time for that recently and my "need to thank" list is getting really long. Anyhow, when I made my request I simply expected generic cards. Mom exceeded my hope and hand made nearly two dozen thank you cards for me. There's nothing more I could have asked for! I can hardly wait to start writing in them all.

I'm glad birthdays only come around once a year and I'm glad everyone has one. Birthdays give people reason to celebrate life and those who make life great. Thanks to all my friends and family that made my birthday and everyday SO special!

Loves!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You really know how to celebrate, as well as look at the positive side of things and find gospel application and learning. YOu are so neat and such and inspiration to me. I hope 22 ends up being a great year for you full of new adventures and growth. I love you!

    ReplyDelete